Reward offered for information on man who skinned cat in Malaysia

The Malaysia Animal Association has offered a RM3,000 (S$863) reward for anyone who can provide information that could lead to the apprehension of a man captured on video abusing a cat.

The non-governmental organisation (NGO) put up the reward in a June 24 Facebook post, where it also provided details, including images and a 48-second video, of the alleged incident.

In the video, a man can be seen using a chopper to skin the cat as he speaks to the camera in halting Malay.

Malaysia Animal Association said that the man is believed to be a Myanmar national who works at a snack shop in Selangor.

As at noon on June 26, the post had been shared more than 250 times. 

A thorough investigation is needed to identify the motive of the alleged killing, added the NGO.

If it is revealed that the man had intentionally killed the cat for media content purposes, he needs to be arrested, investigated and brought to justice, it said.

“Morally, killing cats for consumption is not a cultural practice in Malaysian society and should not be normalised,” it added.

On the post’s comment thread, many Facebook users voiced their anger towards the incident.

User Afiq Afandi said in Malay: “I’m shivering looking at the pictures.”

Another user, Irwan Kaitou, said: “If it’s recorded, it means it’s for creating content.” 

A report of the incident is also circulating on social media platform Reddit, with some users calling for the man to be put behind bars while others pointed out it was unclear if the man had killed the cat.

Reddit user yozoragadaiksuki said the cat might have already been dead before the incident occurred.

“It’s not an issue for me if they want to eat carcasses,” said the user.

Under the Malaysian Animal Welfare Act, those found guilty of cruelty towards animals may face a fine between RM20,000 and RM100,000, up to three years in prison, or both.

In 2019, a man convicted for causing the death of a pregnant cat at a laundry in Kuala Lumpur was sentenced to two years’ jail.