A fire early Tuesday morning displaced several people who live on the 4100 block of Ivory Lane in Turlock, according to fire officials.
Firefighters responded at about 12:30 a.m. and worked to knock down a fire at a single-family home.
When crews arrived, they found a “well-involved” fire in an attached garage. The flames had spread to the home’s interior and second floor, according to a Modesto/Stanislaus/Turlock fire department incident summary.
Five occupants of a multi-generational household were displaced by the fire. One person was injured and taken to a local trauma facility. The extent of that person’s injuries were not disclosed.
Turlock Fire Department Captain Jason Bernard said the fire started in the garage of the home, igniting a car inside. Bernard said the family was alerted by smoke detectors, which he believes helped avoid a tragedy.
“Without those smoke detectors, it definitely could have been a different story. The point being smoke detectors save lives,” Bernard said.
The Stanislaus Regional Fire Investigation Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident. No updates as to a cause were released as of Tuesday afternoon.